The Lion King Fan Art Message Board  

Go Back   The Lion King Fan Art Message Board > Entertainment Discussion > Other Entertainment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread Nov 24th, 2014, 07:26 AM   #1
Kasei
Lurker Extraordinarre

2D Animation...is it still alive/can it revive?

So, I know I'm not alone in this, but I just wanted to hear some other opinions/information on the topic. Of course if we are here we probably love 2D (though if you don't I would be interested to hear why) and are sad that no one outside of Saturday morning cartoons/anime (sometimes) uses the medium anymore. I know there are new 3D models such as the one used for Paperman that are made to imitate the 2D look in a 3D format, which is pretty cool but still not the same.

...so my question is, do any of you think there is any sort of hope for 2D to make a comeback on the big screen in the future? I keep hoping that someone from our generation that grew up with beautiful 2D will bring it back, but now I don't know if any studios would even go for it. The old Legacy Studio that started up for a while after Disney closed the Burbank studio but then crashed is a perfect example of how hard it would be for a small startup studio to fill this void, despite passion for the medium. Thoughts?

Also, if you know of any studios currently producing in 2D format, I would LOVE to know who they are/have more info. I know there are a few out there doing things like Book of Kells, and of course Glen Keane making his lovely shorts for a new company, but any I would love information about any other lines in the water.

Edit to admins: Pssst, I accidentally posted this in the wrong category. e_e; Sorry.

KaseySnow.com
TLKFAA DeviantArt Tumblr Facebook

“Without some goals and some efforts to reach them, no man can live." ~John Dewey
Kasei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Nov 24th, 2014, 11:39 AM   #2
Tamu

Well, the guys who did The Secret of Kells (Cartoon Saloon) just released a new film called Song of the Sea, which I really want to see once it becomes more accessible!

I like Secret of Kells, but Disney-style films are my big passion. I don't know if it's 2D animation that I love so much, though, or just the type of 2D films that tended to be made such as TLK, Balto, Spirit, Prince of Egypt etc. They just had such a warm, magical feel that a lot of 3D films don't, but that 2Ds like Home on the Range didn't have either. I think the kind of animated film that really resonates with me (and with a lot of the older generation) is just 'out of fashion' now. I did enjoy Frozen and Tangled though.

I don't know how they gauge what's fashionable these days, I guess they just try desperately to do something 'new' and people will like it. But there's every chance that 2D will make a comeback, I just don't know when. Maybe once kids become so alienated from 2D that it's 'new' again.

I don't particularly like the look of 3D; do any animation lovers actually prefer it? I don't know what it is about it that I don't like. It just seems too shiny and plastic looking. Disney are getting better at making the 3D characters more appealing (like in Frozen and Tangled) but I still find most of the 2D characters more relatable. Somehow making the graphics more realistic actually makes me feel more alienated from the characters o.O I don't know why, it's very counterintuitive.

I think Frozen's success is great for animation, though. It had a good story and was relatively serious which hopefully means an end to the recent trend where EVERY animated film released was really 'jokey' and childish (ughhh). Frozen made them a lot of money so I think Disney and other companies will have more impetus to try make good animations again.
Tamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Nov 26th, 2014, 09:10 AM   #3
Pepper
"You two-faced son of a jackal!"

Pretty much what Tamu said!!

I am thankful there are some companies in Europe at least making some interesting 2D films, but for independents, they can only be so much in the public eye. Which is in some ways good, because they can be a bit more dark and daring than if they were a huge Hollywood studio's output these days. When a 2D film comes along and can actually see it on the big screen I feel so happy about it! I really am so passionate about a proper good 2D feature and this continuous ignoring of 2D really saddens and frustrates me. I believe -- because I do need that hope -- that more 2D films will happen again in the mainstream, although it will be quite steadily weaned in on us. More experimentation seems to be made with CGI at the moment to give it more interest and depth, like the Paperman technique or the slightly painterly look in Tangled, which perhaps will give more thought on the more 'traditional' side again. (I don't even know if that makes any sense. XD)

It does annoy when I show a lack of passion for 3D films people think I'm just a 'boohoo, I want 2D back, CGI is crap, go away' -- Yes, I want 2D back, but I do have more of a proper reasoning behind this! ... and I'm not saying there isn't a place for 3D. It just shouldn't dominate because they're both very different mediums.
Unread Nov 28th, 2014, 05:54 AM   #4
Kasei
Lurker Extraordinarre

I had never heard of Song of the Sea, but I will look it up!

I am hoping that the recent trend in 3D to have more of a painterly, traditional look as opposed to a plastic one is indicative of the shine of 3D wearing off and people wanting to see more of the artistry behind it.....either that or all of the animators are 2D/traditional medium fans and want to see it make a comeback as well. In which case OUR PLAN IS WORKING PERFECTLY. XD I mean, come on---2D can be gorgeous, impressive animation as well! I was just watching Anastasia again for the first time in a long time and just couldn't get over how drop dead gorgeous everything is...from the animation to the backgrounds, so much work and care went into that film. About the only thing that doesn't stand up is the CGI, but that's forgivable considering the year it was made. And come on...Beauty and the Beast? Classic.

Heck, I'd even take combining the two mediums like they did in the ballroom scene in BatB, just gimmie 2D back! (Tamu, I'm totally one of the "whinewhineImiss2Dwhine" people. xD Anyone who doesn't like that can just stop listening to me/reading what I type since I only talk about it online.)

Also, just wanted to share this music video with you guys if you haven't seen it already...just fantastic 2D animation by the illustrator of the Blacksad comic series.

KaseySnow.com

“Without some goals and some efforts to reach them, no man can live." ~John Dewey

Last edited by Kasei : Feb 24th, 2015 at 04:48 PM.
Unread Feb 17th, 2015, 06:23 PM   #5
ClearGreenWater
Freakishly Infamous Acronym

I keep hoping it will come back :(

...Unfortunately that's all I have to add, there isn't really any huge thought behind it other than "I wanna see new magical pretty things."

3D animation is so pukey looking, it's this weird super smooth rubbery but yet hyper detailed visual mess.

Yeah...nothing constructive. I was able to watch Paperman just now though, that was nice, thank you Kasei. Gives me some kind of hope!

ClearGreenWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Feb 24th, 2015, 04:50 PM   #6
Kasei
Lurker Extraordinarre

Glad to spread the Paperman love! I sincerely hope that they do something with that model to at least bring back the aesthetic of 2D to audiences.

...also, I just noticed that I had a lioden link posted instead of the animated music video. xD What a dork I am. *fixed*

KaseySnow.com