The Lion King Fan Art Message Board  

Go Back   The Lion King Fan Art Message Board > Entertainment Discussion > General TLK and SP Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread Sep 18th, 2016, 02:23 AM   #1
NalasNineGFs

What if TLK got the live-action treatment?

This idea's been tossed around a bit. We've all seen that pattern with Disney by now with the live-action remakes of their classic animated films. First there was Alice in Wonderland, then Maleficent, then Cinderella, then The Jungle Book, soon Beauty and the Beast, and I believe Mulan is officially in the works. The Lion King is huge and, while maybe Disney will be kept distracted with that good Lion Guard money, it's only a matter of time before TLK gets the reboot too. But what would they do with it?

For one thing, recreating TLK would mean no onscreen human actors. And while I'm sure the story and characters would look stunning with our modern CGI, I can't imagine them being able to bring anything new to the story that would justify making the movie over again. Well, actually, I do have two ideas.

The first one is going the Maleficent route and delving into Scar's backstory. This could be a great movie in its own right and would provide something we've been wanting more information on for years. As long as they kept the conflict nuanced and didn't try to make him a Woobie and make everyone OOC for the sake of the premise.

The other idea could potentially be a great and important movie. In the spirit of the Broadway show, an all-human cast set in and around a fictional prosperous African nation. There is so much creativity that could happen here in the worldbuilding and so much beautiful representation with an all-Black cast. As for the title, the "Lion King" could be meant in a more symbolic and less literal way. Or maybe they can magically transform into animals, idk that seems like a stretch.

What do you guys think?
I think everyone who graduates high school instantly reverts back to how they were as a little kid. That's probably why I'm back here after all this time. Not a Powerkat anymore, just a humble community college student having feelings and thoughts about my favorite story. Guess there's really something to the circle of life.
NalasNineGFs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Sep 18th, 2016, 10:37 AM   #2
Koudoawaia
Storm Dragoness

I'd go see a live action Lion King as long as the cast was kept completely animal. One reason I'm not keen on seeing Lion King on Broadway even though I love the soundtrack are that the characters look way too human the way they did the costumes. I just don't care for that.
Unread Sep 18th, 2016, 01:19 PM   #3
NalasNineGFs

Would you have preferred they dress up in fursuits? I personally think the human element is the best part of the show. It brings a new depth to the story, making it more than just talking animals. I also think the authenticity of Africa being visibly represented by their people and their diaspora is really important. The animal cast is great and everything, but it also plays it kinda safe for the white American audience because we seem to be more inclined to empathize with animals than PoC, which is really messed up when you think about it.
I think everyone who graduates high school instantly reverts back to how they were as a little kid. That's probably why I'm back here after all this time. Not a Powerkat anymore, just a humble community college student having feelings and thoughts about my favorite story. Guess there's really something to the circle of life.
Unread Sep 30th, 2016, 11:36 PM   #4
NalasNineGFs

So it turns out I spoke this into existence. What do you guys think are some cool ways the original movie could be expanded upon?