The Lion King Fan Art Message Board  

Go Back   The Lion King Fan Art Message Board > Art & Fan-Works > In The Spotlight > Constructive Criticism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread Feb 22nd, 2003, 10:01 PM   #1
Malaika
VIVA LA REVOLUCION

"Annoying little things" (dinosaur help needed)

I have given up on this pic and decided I need help. The main thing I'm stuck on are the arms and the legs (the far leg in particular). I know the arms are a little long but the main thing I can't figure out there is the position. Also the legs are giving me problems. I want them too be bent some. I think the left (close) leg might be ok since I had more ref for that one (in fact that was my only ref) but I don't think the far one could actually be like that. And if anyone else has any suggestions that would be helpful. The only other thing I can think of, is that I was wondering if the eye is too big perhaps?

Anyway as for the little ones by his tail. Those will later come out to be Compy's but for now I just drew shapes to put them in there so that there is some understanding to the rex's pose.

Click Click
Malaika is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Feb 23rd, 2003, 07:06 AM   #2
Ayame
Banned

Well, you're probally not going to like what I'm about to say because it'd force you to pretty much change the entire drawing. If I were you, actually, I wouldn't even use this peice of advice on this drawing- rather keep it in mind for future ones. The posture you've got this T-Rex standing in is the classic one that Wilkers first arragned his fossils into. For T-Rex to have a center of gravity that's some 12 feet off the ground is, well, ridiculous. You've got his spine in a diagonal, ape-like posture but within the past few years it's been discovered that T-Rex walked with his spine almost horizontal to the ground. I'm not sure if I can describe it properly, but, think of it that his tail is the same distance from the ground as his head. But that really is nit-picking from a dino-geek.

Though it's attractive, I would take out that curve in his tail at the end because T-Rex would not be capable of fine movements of his huge tail.

The arm on his right (viewer's left) looks fine, but the other one is just mushy. Dinos had shoulders too! The way you've drawn it it sort of looks like some alien sprouting from his rib-cage.

There's a few more flaws, but I know that there's just no way I'd be able to write them in a way that would make sense. If you'd like a red-line I'd be happy to oblige.
Ayame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Feb 23rd, 2003, 08:51 AM   #3
Jamala
potbellysquishyness

The head probably needs to be a little bigger, the neck needs to be shaped a little different, it's too...smooth.

The arms are, as said by Ayame, a little odd. They actually should just look like a forearm and fingers. The elbow basically just comes out of the body.

Did you by any chance use a Jurassic Park model to look from? The pose looks familiar.
Jamala is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Feb 23rd, 2003, 10:11 AM   #4
Malaika
VIVA LA REVOLUCION

Ayame- *nods* no worries and thanks for the help ^^ I know that T-rex walked and stood relatively horizontal but I was trying to make it like he was looking up or something (not sure how to explain it lol). And I had to laugh some at the nit picking from a dino freak comment because I'm actually a dino nut myself but always refrained from drawing them because I had problems doing it And I wondered abou the tail because of the thickness and the amount of muscle in them. The shoulders were the one thing I wasn't sure about for the most part because it seems like in every pic I've seen before it always just looked kinda like how you put it.

I've gotten a couple redlines but another would could always help since it seems different people always fix different things

Jam- Yeah when I firts was sketching this his neck was sort of bumpy but when I thinned it down I left that part out. And nope no JP model though I was thinking the same thing while I was drawing it lol
Malaika is offline   Reply With Quote