The Lion King Fan Art Message Board  

Go Back   The Lion King Fan Art Message Board > Art & Fan-Works > In The Spotlight > Constructive Criticism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread Mar 11th, 2003, 04:15 AM   #1
Amber

*takes a big breath* ok... I'm ready for it... please critique

ok ok, my first RL drawing.... Please say all that needs to be said, but be warned my ego is fragile, so please be nice

PS - the markings were taken from a tiger's markings so I know they aren't symetrical but that's how they were....

My TLK art stuff... go on CLICK ME

I am so sorry Aditi! I haven't forgotten you or the trade, I'm just swamped with Uni at the moment! Will be done soon, I'm so very sorry!!!

Amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 11th, 2003, 06:08 AM   #2
Pegasuss
forgot what she was saying... again.

I love those eyes. Way to use colors in shading! I don't know much about tigers, I'll say that right off. Umm... The only thing I can think of is that the "eyebrow spots" (for lack of a better name) Kind of bother me, being so different from each other. I don't know if that was intended or not... The only other thing is the ears. The one on our left looks rather unfinished with just a smudge of pink there that seems out of place. It looks kind of odd against the other ears, as well. They look, to me at least, like that are at the same angle, and should show the same amount of the inner ear. I really like this pic though.
Pegasuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 11th, 2003, 12:28 PM   #3
mango
IS WAKE-WALKING IN A DREAM

very very cute. the only thing i can think of to mention is, aren't tiger's ears more roundy?
mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 11th, 2003, 06:05 PM   #4
TheUnknownSoul

I LOVE IT XD *huggles ittle tiger cub*
TheUnknownSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 11th, 2003, 06:24 PM   #5
Jamala
potbellysquishyness

Absolutely wonderful job on making it look cute and fuzzy. :)

And I'm rather suprised the tiger cubs markings weren't symmetrical...Rather odd but I suppose it happens from time to time.

I would also think that the iris colors (the blue and green) would be more blended together...Though I can't seem to find a good close up picture of a tiger cub at the moment.
Jamala is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 11th, 2003, 06:24 PM   #6
Sabrea

I commented a little in the Spotlight but then I came here, so here's some more thoughts.

I'm not convinced that the tiger's head is round. And although he's fluffy, he should still have some cheekbones. I've been studying skulls lately and I think that drawing a few feline skulls and look and muscle diagrams would be very helpful.

Realistic ears don't have pink in them. The hair on the back of the ear (the black part with the white spot) wouldn't be as fluffy either, that hair is settled more.

I'm not 100% sure about the eyes but I do like them so I'd leave them. Gives it character.

I /think/ the chin should be a big more robust, but that depends on the age of the cub you're going for. It looks a little older then newborn based on the openness of the eyes so I'd give it some more volume.

And one of my biggest pet-peeves: the smudge tool. Not an accurate representation of hair, it just blurs everything together. Drawing individual hairs take a long time, but the result is a much more refined, detailed look.

But overall the effect of this is nice. It has personality and I do rather like it. I think that the anatomy issues are all minor and I'd say this is pretty successful.
Sabrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 11th, 2003, 06:34 PM   #7
Ayame
Banned

I feel like I'm always saying this..but.. You need more cool colors in the fur! It's all reds/oranges/yellows at the moment, and adding some blueish/purple/green into the shadows would make it less "photoshoppy". Even some neutral browns would help a lot.

Are you going to do anything with the background? Right now I don't like the idea of just a tiger cub's head floating on black. Maybe just add in a neck for him and put generic snow or greenery in the background? It'd really improve the picture..because right now there's no atmosphere at all and it looks unfinished.

But it does look very promising! I'll be expectining good things from you in the future.
Ayame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 12th, 2003, 05:55 PM   #8
Amber

First things first: thank you all for commenting!

I guess I've been caught out... The picture wasn't meant to be a tiger to start with, it was going to be a very young snow leopard, but after I drew the eyes and head I thought I'd turn it into a tiger... so I grabbed a tiger picture and used his/her markings on this little guy... so I dunno if that explains the bone stucture mistakes and the ear shape and what not.

The eye spot things (hehe peg) were a mistake, as one side was left over from the original markings of the cub and the seconds side took the tiger markings...

That stupid ear has been bugging me since I drew it but I didn't realise why, so thank you peg for that comment. I'll put more pink in later (also on the pink part, the picture was shaded with the idea that their was a massive bright light coming from behind and to the top left of the picture, so I thought I'd colour the ears pink... and I kinda like them hehe so I'll leave them in this picture but next time I'll keep your comment in mind sab )

Ayame - I see what you're saying with the different fur colours... I did experiment a little with other colours but I was getting annoyed at the tigers head and kept putting colour upon colour over it and the effect was lost and forgotten, but I'll keep it in mind for the next (?) one. I wasn't planning on adding anything to the back ground. I wanted to see if I could make a half decent realistic image, so this was more an experiment than it was artwork (if that makes sense). In future I'll be able to plan images better because I have some idea of my capabilities now

Sabrea - firstly thank you for the detailed look at the picture. I stopped really checking the reference picture towards the end of the picture (when everything was annoying me cause it wouldn't come out right hehe) so that might have something to do with the loss of shape to the head. He was also originally a snow leopard so I think I might have over fluffed him for a tiger (that'd explain the ears too, which I'll be changing).

um, issues with the smudge tool.. I had a lot of trouble with the fur and trying to make it look like fur. I experimented with a few different styles but I had trouble with them all. I started originally drawing lines as the hairs and using the blur tool on a low % to make them look less defined (along the nose I used this method a lot) but the same method didn't seem to want to work on the top of the head.. Along the ear (that stupid left one) on the inside fur bits you might be able to see attempts of drawin gthe fur rather than smudging it, but it didn't seem to work for me. So yeh... I agree with the smudge thing, but I can't seem to grasp the alternative. If you have advice on this (or even a tutorial or somethin?) I'd love to hear it.

Thanks again

I am so sorry Aditi! I haven't forgotten you or the trade, I'm just swamped with Uni at the moment! Will be done soon, I'm so very sorry!!!

Unread Mar 13th, 2003, 03:32 AM   #9
mango
IS WAKE-WALKING IN A DREAM

Here's an awsoem tutorial on one way to do fur effects. i highly recomend it Click Me
Unread Mar 13th, 2003, 02:54 PM   #10
Amber

thanks mango, that's brilliant! I'll have to work on getting a tablet now... :S thanks for showing me that though

Unread Mar 13th, 2003, 09:18 PM   #11
Red Tabby Tigress
Meep- the Nutty Blue haired Red Tabby Tigress

Location: In bed, wif my elcectric blanket and sum Milo- its cold =^_^=
OMG that is so cute!!!!!!! I luv it! it looks gorgeous
Red Tabby Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 15th, 2003, 11:16 AM   #12
Marakaraka
I will make you a present of a secret...

Aha! I have the ref picture you used right in front of me. (RANGER RICK ROCKS!) ^^ Knew the little bugger looked familiar.

Ok... Face should be narrower altogether. Further detail below.

Ears. They should be 'higher' up on the skull. This would cause the forehead to be smaller and the face to look more narrow (along with a little less cheek fluff).

Eyes...I like the way you rendered them, but in the context of the picture, they just look buggy. In proportion, they should be a tad narrower (again) and about the same size as the nose. Also, the way the pupils are placed makes him look cross-eyed. If you adjust the light sources, it should fix this.

Jaw...Should be about the same width as the cheeks. They have strong, powerful lower jaws to crush their prey's spine and so forth. ^^;;

*Gives you a pillow to pad ego, if I offended* Still a wonderful pic! *cuddles and purrs*
Marakaraka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 16th, 2003, 04:12 PM   #13
Zykia
Hi, my name is Zykia and I'm a slash-a-holic.

i'm going along with ayame, but i like the bright vibrant colors...'tis more my style. *L*
but i will recomend more value in the stripes...they seem to be very stark against the fur.
love the eyeballs tho! ^-^
Zykia is offline   Reply With Quote