The Lion King Fan Art Message Board  

Go Back   The Lion King Fan Art Message Board > Art & Fan-Works > In The Spotlight > Constructive Criticism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread Mar 15th, 2002, 11:43 AM   #1
Light Lion Gospel
The Community Light Lion

A Criticism For -EVERYONE-

I've only been back on this board for all of 6 minutes, and I've made a thread which talks to everyone... [I miss this board so much...]

I think everyone who ever has posted a picture in any archive, or on any message board, or web site, or gallery, does not deserve any negative criticism.

A lot of people aren't drawing to impress people, but drawing because they had fun drawing it.
And most of the times, those same people post their pictures just to show people what they did. Because maybe someone could appreciate the drawing as much as they took the time to create it.

Maybe some artists and people who post up pictures want to be 'popular.' In a sense, people see these great artists and cling to them and maybe by knowing them, then they become popular as well?

Sure, it is nice at times to get thousands of fan mail a day, and people trying to copy your art style, but I guess it is just not a 'me' thing.

Anyone... no, EVERYONE on this board, deserves a pat on the back just for putting up their works in general. And that is my honest criticism.

But I can't understand how people can give negative criticism at all on anything.

Having art talent is nice, and being good at it is another, but I don't think people should only be known by how well they draw.

What good is liking someone's art style and how they draw when you really have never met that person, or don't know them?

I think I went to far off the subject [OK, so I know I did... yikes...] but criticizing someone is good, but I think any criticism given should not be as much criticism, but more along the way of advice of improvement.

So to everyone on this message board who I know, who I don't know, who I should know, and who are just there lurking with proffessional ninja skill until I drag them out, I would like to congratulate ALL OF YOU for being kind and considerate enough to post a picture, or work anywhere.

Because eventually I'm going to go through and look at all of them one day [Like say when Im able to find all of it maybe?] and I'm going to enjoy myself as I do.

So to all of you on the board, this is a personal message, thank you, and my own constructive, criticism. ^ ^

...Just didn't... think it would... be.. so... long....
Unread Mar 15th, 2002, 12:59 PM   #2
AirGuiTaR
Maned Wolf of the North

*applaudes*
Well said Light Lion
Unread Mar 15th, 2002, 06:21 PM   #3
Sema
Politically Incorrect

Yes, I agree. I kinda got anxiety when i saw this new forum 'constructive critisism' pop up...I was like "Oh great...are they just TRYING to make everyone feel bad?" we all gotta tendancy to do that to each other...but most the time it isn't intended.... scary... but well said

-Sema
Sema is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 15th, 2002, 06:23 PM   #4
Makani
So and So, in the flesh

yeah, very nicely said , but I don't think anyone has ever posted any other kind of critisism in this forum other than helpful . I don't think anyone has looked at a pic and said, "Dang, you stink!" to the person or anything . Then again...I've only been here for...2 weeks?...umm...la di da! Anywayz, long story short, Awesome speech ! *runs behind a grassy knoll*

present from The Black Cat! <3
Makani is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 15th, 2002, 06:25 PM   #5
va-kasi

good points

i do thinlk this fourm is a good idea but lets hope that noone uses it the wrong way (negitive that is)

i wouldnt exactly say it here to bag out everyones art, people post there art up here so people can help them improve
va-kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 15th, 2002, 06:31 PM   #6
kazamidori

hides

i'm not having any more ideas around here...
Unread Mar 15th, 2002, 06:35 PM   #7
va-kasi

Kaza, it was a good idea noone has disused it ....i think
Unread Mar 16th, 2002, 01:35 AM   #8
peace4life
Banned

hi there, that was a good thing to say and i understand where you are coming from, when i was younger i put a picture of a horse on side 7, it was my first airbrushed horse i had every done. But some one wrote in saying, "This is c*** and you are a c*** artist and i think you should be kicked of this site!"

I stopped doing art after that and i was really unset by it, She didnot have to say that! Well i am back and i don't care if someone says something like that again cause i know i can do well
peace4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 16th, 2002, 07:12 AM   #9
Sema
Politically Incorrect

We mustn't let people's words stray us from our talents. In middle school I was constantly harassed (I mean these people honestly have problems) about how I always drew cartoons... so you know what? I stopped.... and I lost valuable drawing practice...and I lost what I love to do best...draw and animate. It was dumb of me to listen to them, I know that, but now I know that they were just jealous (or compleatly insane) and my art is going to take me places some day... and they'll be left working a dead end job with lame pay.. raisnin' a family of screaming snot nosed kids...because where is math gonna get you? No Where!

-Sema
Sema is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 16th, 2002, 10:50 AM   #10
Majestic
Artist and White Lion Lover

Light Lion Gospel, i total agree with what you said and your feelings are exzactly mine as well...i've said those same lines myself at this forum many times....but as you know the young never listen to the old and wise.

i most TOTALLY agreed with what you said here....that is the most perfect example of the kind of things that go on at this forum that TOTALLY annoy me!

---"Maybe some artists and people who post up pictures want to be 'popular.' In a sense, people see these great artists and cling to them and maybe by knowing them, then they become popular as well?"----

i notice it alot....it takes away from the basic feeling of just expression your OWN individual ideas through art.....the ability to showcase your art because you want people to love it as much as you do and to say that they appreciate the time you took making it by saying its a really beautiful pic and saying some things that are good about it making you feel as if you accomplished something...which pushes you forward to try new things, and it makes you appreciate yourself and your talent more. if there is negative responses....it may cause a person to go into artist block out of depression and they will always feel what they do is never enough......I.E. Me....i never feel my art is enough....i keep feeling as if people look upon it as trash, but thats because of negative critisizm and stuff from teachers and people in general, but i ignore them mostly and keep trying because its the best anyone can do. i dont know i just identified with what you said and i appreciate everything you said in your post....you are a really kind hearted soul, and i wish nothing but the best for you and anything you do in life.

sorry i am half way through college at the moment....that explains my long windedness :( sorry....i get all philosophical at times...and i cant help it....DAMN COLLEGE!
Majestic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 16th, 2002, 02:33 PM   #11
va-kasi

okness but perhaps we should drop the subject.
Unread Mar 17th, 2002, 06:51 AM   #12
Xusta
Mew

yeah I agree but this is constructive, I mean if we duno our defects (I mean the dfects on our pics) how could we change them, all we need is politeness

TLK ARCHIVE MY DEVIANTART
Xusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 17th, 2002, 07:18 AM   #13
Majestic
Artist and White Lion Lover

exzactly
Majestic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Apr 5th, 2002, 08:11 AM   #14
Azrien
Traveler and snake wrangler

The two types of criticism artists will get:

Constructive: You art is excellent, but in the interest of helping you in your journey through art, maybe you should look at these things in your drawing (list them off, offer advice, etc).. the things you did here (list off stuff) were very very well done, keep up the good work

The above criticism tell an artist that people already like your work, but they are trying to help you realize areas where you can improve more and grow.

Bad criticism: Your art is a load of C**P my 3-legged dog could do better!

The above is just an insult, usually put out by someone who cant draw HALF as good as you could.. either that, or someone who is jus a pr**k overall in life. These things, you just ignore.. obviously, they dont have the intelligence to actually say anything more than "you suck"

I've learned a LOT from cons criticism.. It's great

-Azrien

Visit the planet Deechara and all of its inhabitants at Deechara

Azrien.com - My website that needs updating.. w0x0t
Azrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread May 1st, 2002, 11:48 AM   #15
shinigami no miko
priestess of death

Location: in geg's hope: hoping to ascend to where i belong...
wow... ::still amazed::

this is my first time here (in this whole constructive criticism forum) ever since i saw the title i've been avoiding this place...thought i'd check out the criticism and see if this is somewhere i might *actually* want to post pictures at...
::shudders:: criticism...whether constructive or not...scares me...

*jess aka shinigaminomiko

My mind wonders like a bird

Spreading its wings wide open

Floating through the highest skies

Fearless of changes

Ignorant of warnings

Only recognizing itself

A little voice inside

Instructing where to go

Trying to break free

kakaru heiso

shinigami no miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread May 16th, 2002, 05:03 PM   #16
Lizard2k
Reptile Fan -:)

In the first:
I think, that criticism should support artists. Because Someone looks them works. It Means to someone not spit.
In the second:
it is possible to criticize to offend. Because of envy, hatred or still. It is possible because he has already got.
In the third:
Well, sends, let sends. Brian will disassemble itself. Kelt Ryanson has enraged to me his monotony, IMHO. and I am simple remove him from my favorite list. :tongue2:

Last edited by Lizard2k : May 30th, 2002 at 09:02 AM.
Lizard2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread May 30th, 2002, 08:29 AM   #17
Binki

I agree!! In fact I don't think there is such thing as 'bad art'. I can't stand it when people think they're a better artist than someone else. I think the only bad art is when its stolen or copied from somebody.
Binki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread May 30th, 2002, 08:37 AM   #18
Xusta
Mew

yeah that´s true¡¡¡ some ppl thinks that art mens perfection, but it doesn´t , art are feelings, emotions, impressions... that are more important than beauty (at least for me)

TLK ARCHIVE MY DEVIANTART
Xusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread May 30th, 2002, 03:38 PM   #19
Larani the lioness

A note about bad criticism: No one makes you feel bad without your consent.

I forget where I heard that..

http://fanart.lionking.org/Artists/Larani/?+hi+++
^my art!
Larani the lioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jun 16th, 2002, 11:35 PM   #20
Zykia
Hi, my name is Zykia and I'm a slash-a-holic.

i'm new here and i plan on using this board a lot. all you guys seem so awesome, i know i'd feel comfortable showing a sketch and asking for opinions on how the eyes look, or if the legs look unbalanced, or (heaven forbid) it seems close to something someone else has seen.
with constructive criticism, its just pointing out the bad in a good way. obviously ya wouldn't be posting here if you wanted to show off an AWESOME drawing, there's the spotlight section for that. you'd be coming here to improve.
suggestions are be made politely and an artist can get wonderful advice from tons of people.
and i know i will have a few choice words to say to anyone who jumps on in here just to bash and flame people.
it takes serious guts to invite constructive critics!
'k, i'm done.
O ka moana, hanupanupa
Lalala i ka la hanahana
Me ke kai hoene i ka pu'e one
Helehele mai kakou e
Hawaiian roller coaster ride!
Zykia is offline   Reply With Quote