The Lion King Fan Art Message Board  

Go Back   The Lion King Fan Art Message Board > Art & Fan-Works > In The Spotlight > Constructive Criticism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread Feb 20th, 2004, 11:04 PM   #1
RckyMtnSV
Merlin says MWAOR!!!

A little bit 'o help...

Dun dun dun....
I got bored tonight, so I decided I'd post my first pic, but I'd like some critique'age...
Its farily generic, and kinda resembles Nala I think, but i wasnt really going for any char. in particular...just drawing. The ear? I dunno, a sorry attempt to make her look a little less..boring...just cuz... Slight reference to a couple pics, but I tried to do as much on my own as I could.

Something isnt quite right with her jaw on the right side - i think it needs to be a little thinner, or sharper edged...

I think her eyes look fairly decent, but not quite just right. cant put my finger on it.

I think its fairly decent for my first real attempt....hehe, maybe I'll work on actually giving her a body next.....
Anyways, any thoughts or help you could give would be much appreciated....

Thanks, guys
*hides himself and watches from a bush*
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PS 2nd pic lines done copy.jpg (49.5 KB, 28 views)

Some people are like slinkies -- Not really good for anything, but you cant help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs

Are you bored like I am? AIM me, so we'll be a little less bored.

I want my $1.30!!!
RckyMtnSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Feb 22nd, 2004, 03:39 PM   #2
Vekke
Banned

Hello.

For the first time, this is really good. but I warn you (oh no, not the style thing AGAIN, Eva) . . . if you hope to go into professional art, start with drawing from real animals, not TLK, because you'll need your own style. But even if you only want to do TLK fanart, though I'd suggest looking at real lions (and their underlying anatomy) as well, so you know what they really look like, just for anatomy's sake. Because if you end up stylizing from TLK without a knowledge of their real anatomy, there's more chance for technical incorrectness.

I redlined your picture in the TLK style, though. Might I suggest using construction lines? They might be hard or seem useless at first, but I assure you, they really help pull the picture together in the long run. I can go into more depth about them if you want (if someone else who's probably better at explaining doesn't get to it before I do), but for now, I'll just leave it at that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nalaishconstructionlines.jpg (54.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg nalaishredline.jpg (67.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg nalaishredlinenoblue.jpg (58.4 KB, 15 views)
Vekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Feb 22nd, 2004, 07:15 PM   #3
RckyMtnSV
Merlin says MWAOR!!!

Much thanks for the help Eva, and yeah I've been trying to draw some real lions, I've got a coupla pages of various lions going on, they seem to be getting better.
And that one was a PS line jobber, so it wasnt from my sketch exactly, but yeah I need to start using the construction lines more. I've been looking at a coupla books with actual animals (all kinds) and techniques for drawing and whatnot, and its amazing how many basic shapes you can start to see if you look at em the right way.

The red lines look so obvious now, why couldn't I see it? lol....oh well, I guess I'm here to learn, right? hehe

Again, thanks a million for your help!

Some people are like slinkies -- Not really good for anything, but you cant help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs

Are you bored like I am? AIM me, so we'll be a little less bored.

I want my $1.30!!!
RckyMtnSV is offline   Reply With Quote