The Lion King Fan Art Message Board  

Go Back   The Lion King Fan Art Message Board > Art & Fan-Works > In The Spotlight > Constructive Criticism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread May 26th, 2006, 04:46 PM   #1
Keybearer
They took our jobs!

Views on my beginnings

As you may or may not know, i'm not the best drawer in the world. I'm in the starting phases of trying to be able to draw without the use of other pictures for references, so i'm going to try by starting with actually drawing other characters and hopefully i might pick up things during the drawing process.

Anyway this is the first of those pictures, one of Kovu
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/33864225/
I understand (as i've said above) that its a copied picture but i would just like some opions on it for my first

Keybearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread May 28th, 2006, 04:33 AM   #2
kah
b

Hey, I think that you're off to an excellent start. You may look at your anatomy now, and think "Oh..." but seriously, it will pick up.
I would recommend tracing poses that you especially like. It seems to be frowned upon here a lot, but on a personal note, I find that copying and tracing (tracing in the early stages, when I first started drawing at all) is really good to help your anatomy skills. You can find amazing poses from screenshots in the movies of TLK, and even, if you're using them for your own personal growth, poses and pictures from other artists. I was lucky enough to find the amazing artist Timali, who is an extremely level-headed and intelligent artist who didn't mind at all if I looked at her pictures to try and help myself with anatomy and shading. Without her being so generous about me copying her work, I wouldn't be as happy with my art as I am today! In return, I never posted anything that was directly copied from her on the internet - but I have lots of practice sketches!
In a nutshell, I think you're off to an excellent start, and I enjoyed that picture of Kovu! If you want to show me other pictures, I'm more than happy to tell you how awesome I think you are
Hope that helps!

kah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread May 28th, 2006, 04:34 AM   #3
Xarbsai
My heart belongs to me.

It's really cute

~Talk about blank with a capitol "B".~

TLKFAADA Account

Xarbsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread May 28th, 2006, 04:38 AM   #4
Xarbsai
My heart belongs to me.

Then again like Kah said, in early stages it's good to trace because I used to.
Even now I like to looks at body poses sometimes.

~Talk about blank with a capitol "B".~

TLKFAADA Account

Xarbsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread May 28th, 2006, 05:05 AM   #5
Keybearer
They took our jobs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kah
You may look at your anatomy now, and think "Oh..." but seriously, it will pick up.

Everytime i seem to see it i think that XD I get less impressed each time lol.

Quote:
In a nutshell, I think you're off to an excellent start, and I enjoyed that picture of Kovu! If you want to show me other pictures, I'm more than happy to tell you how awesome I think you are
Hope that helps!

Thank you, your advice does help. At least i've not fallen at the first jump, it feels good to be told that somebody actually enjoyed the picture

Unread May 28th, 2006, 02:29 PM   #6
Keybearer
They took our jobs!

I don't normally like to double post (this is my first on here, go me!) but you guys are supportive and again i'd like your opions since you guys are great
From Kovu to Kiara, her anatomy is off a little in places i know:
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/33955927/
=3

Unread May 29th, 2006, 03:16 PM   #7
kah
b

Very nice! You're doing really well - this picture is much more anatomically correct than your last, so you're improving! I noticed though, that you don't want critiques, is this because you're going to wait until you've improved a little more before you do? You could learn quite a lot with critiques. I'm not the sort of person to sit back and tell you what you could fix, anyway, because I don't feel as if I'm good enough to do that, but other people are good for that sort of thing, and if they're sincerely wanting to help, then critiquing can be an excellent way to help your drawing skills!
But well done - show me more, show me more!

kah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread May 29th, 2006, 03:19 PM   #8
Keybearer
They took our jobs!

Thanks, yeah i should put the critiques on but it's done by force of habbit lol. I'm actually getting less impressed with that Kiara every time i see it

Unread May 29th, 2006, 03:59 PM   #9
Ges
Banned

Oh man. You definately have a running start compared to me.
I look at my really old stuff and puke.

All I can say for advice is practice drawing everything. Broaden your knowledge of light angles, perception, anatomy, etc. It makes drawing anything you could imagine ten times easier.
And also try not to dwell too much on the negative or you'll lose inspiration. See what you don't like, learn to fix it, and highlight the parts that you do like. Find something you excell in, use it, and add onto it.

I remember first trying to draw lions and being so used to equine anatomy that nothing looked right. And I still can't get lion anatomy right no matter what, but I always try and bring myself another step up by trying something new. Lions are not my forte as far as art goes, but because I enjoy drawing them, I do and just try and do my best.

And I'm pretty sure that I don't make any sense, but that's cool.
Ges is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread May 29th, 2006, 04:23 PM   #10
Keybearer
They took our jobs!

As freaky as it sounds, it does make sense lol.

I do tend to think negative about some of my drawings but normally only after i see them a few times, when i first see them i feel really proud but that soon vanishes ¬_¬

Thanks you lot for these words anyway

Unread Jun 2nd, 2006, 11:36 AM   #11
Keybearer
They took our jobs!

Right, got another picture i'd your advice and such on, taking a tiny slide away from TLK as this picture is of Kai *points to avatar for those that don't know* and it's that picture, only no where near as good
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/34187367/

Just in case somebody goes to bite my head off, i asked Pollux if i could draw it and she's fine by it since she was the one to do my avatar ^^

Unread Jun 2nd, 2006, 12:26 PM   #12
phoenixgigs

its pretty good!
The chin is a bit too pointed though but otherwise its fine!

He Gets All The Girls

DA | TLKFAA | Livejournal
phoenixgigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Jun 2nd, 2006, 12:35 PM   #13
Keybearer
They took our jobs!

Hmm so it is lol Didn't notice that, but that's the point (no pun intended lol) of this thread I fixed it on the original though.

Unread Jun 7th, 2006, 02:16 PM   #14
Keybearer
They took our jobs!

Right i decided to colour my first ever LK drawing, which was the first thing uploaded on my dA and is also a full body!! Since it's fully finished now i wanna see what people think about it:
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/34435658/
I've got to admit for my first ever LK drawing i'm impressed, apart from the jaw ¬_¬