The Lion King Fan Art Message Board  

Go Back   The Lion King Fan Art Message Board > Art & Fan-Works > In The Spotlight > Constructive Criticism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread Mar 9th, 2004, 08:42 PM   #1
Leo
I'm your humble Leo, your friend of friends

Location: Where its very green, and tawny fur is most useless as camoflauge
Anthros

What is it with anthros, I just cant figure it out. I draw them any time I can, and love nothing more then to finish a character, and see much anatomic improvment. As personal and, at most odd, as this may be, I dream of being one at night. Theres nothing more to it then that, so I dont think twice (ok, three times) about telling this to all of you guys. Whether or not you care is the thing, lol. Well, if any one else draws anthros, please take a look here. Im certain that any one who does such here can offer me bountifull tips and the likes.

Here are a few of my anthros, youll see that I focus mainly on my character Leon. They are old, and out of wack, the newest being the penciled sketch of my character Lomax, then its Leon at 19 (the oldest and ugliest). The next, Leon at 23.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lomax.jpg (120.0 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg Feb22018.JPG (743.0 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Feb22019.JPG (452.2 KB, 47 views)
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 9th, 2004, 08:49 PM   #2
Kabaka
Relic

Ooooh, those look familiar... Er, I can't help. **still getting the basics down**
Unread Mar 9th, 2004, 08:51 PM   #3
Leo

Hoboy, work on getting your own level set first, it'll screw you up big time if you tried now. It did so to me at least.
Unread Mar 10th, 2004, 05:59 AM   #4
AirGuiTaR
Maned Wolf of the North

One thing I notice is how stiff your character is. You need to play with poses! Be flexable, be active. Another things that makes your character look stiff is that there is no character or emotion in his face. I can tell what he's thinking or feeling. Play with gestures and have fun ! I usually have a mirror handy to look at my own face or body, like the way my arms move or the way my leg bend.

When trying to pracice with anatomy, I look at the human body. I will even draw my character nude first then draw the clothes. It helps alot. And even with the clothes, you should study folds and movement as well.
Unread Mar 10th, 2004, 06:28 AM   #5
Pegasuss
forgot what she was saying... again.

It's good that you're attempting different angles! As well as a variety of poses, a variety in angles is good practice.

Hey, it never hurts to try. Experimentation is the greatest thing a starting artist can do- they shouldn't limit themselves to "simple" things. Maybe they'll try and fail, but they'll learn something from it and grow. That's the most important thing while you're still learning. (Who isn't still learning, for that matter? There's always room for improvement.)

Keep practicing, like Air said, use different and more dynamic poses. Don't reference off of other art (don't do it! Not only is it wrong, but it becomes a crutch and seriously impedes your art!) but reference from life. From yourself. You are your own best model- only you know the exact pose and expression you're trying to achive. Draw other people, other animals, everything. Draw from life. Even if you're drawing things you never intend to draw again, it will help your art. Drawing horses helped me undserstand antelope anatomy, drawing monkeys has helped me improve my humans, drawing my dog helped me understand how to portray emotion without exaggerating it.

Get out there and draw everything, whether you think it'll help or not.
Unread Mar 10th, 2004, 03:06 PM   #6
Leo

I want to, just as much as I want to get better grades, but I cant find the energy, Im too caught up in the stories of the characters or something. I fully realize the major necesity of drawing ANYTHING around me, as it helps in a lot of ways. I tried to draw my current ave. but it didnt come out good enough (a major problem, I see flaws that arent there, and dont realize it till someone points it out). I do know my anthros look stiff and emotionless, but those were just reference pics I did to try to get the idea of how they looked down first. I have no probs with nude drawings, besides, you can only see what you put there. Its a personal glitch that I cant do any less then sports braws and boxers, with all things considered as well. Part of that fear of people making a steiotype based assumption I believe. Theres more to it then that, but that doesnt matter. I have only drawn a female four times, human and not. Cant get anatomy right, and its most embarasing to screw up on the females, dont know why.

It sounds like I am hearing what I dont want to, by the way I "know", but actually its rather helpfull to get the same advice from many great people.

*Edit: just found these.

The first is one I worked hard on for a freind, my character Leon crashes, to be found by my freinds character. All preditory Ironies aside, I like it. The second, is a full size of me, dont remember whether or not I showed it though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crash.JPG (844.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg LL.JPG (105.3 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Leo : Mar 10th, 2004 at 03:12 PM.
Unread Mar 11th, 2004, 01:44 PM   #7
AirGuiTaR
Maned Wolf of the North

Okay, Im just wondering what exactly is your question about your anthros that you would like help with?
It's hard to critque when you're showing so many. Im just confused *L
Unread Mar 11th, 2004, 06:56 PM   #8
Leo

Oh, I thought youd be able to see what mistakes I tend to make over and over agian. As mentioned earlier, theyre stiff as a friggin board, and I cant come up with any usefull poses. Plus, the torso, easily the most menacing thing for me at times. I cant get it to match up with the legs. Garr! my best ones were done with the major assistance of a freind, that would only be Lomax though, thus far.
Unread Mar 11th, 2004, 07:20 PM   #9
Vekke
Banned

Well, you probably got this in the old thread, but drawing more realistic lion heads will help with the head shape . . . you can still draw the characters, just use a bunch of human and lion pics for reference. It helps . . . I improve every time I sketch now that I'm using realism.
Vekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 13th, 2004, 11:21 AM   #10
Leo

*nods*
Unread Mar 19th, 2004, 05:45 AM   #11
Leo

Human/Anthro issues

I dont know if you had noticed or not, but my anthros are very, well, I dunno how to describe it. Ive been trying to draw one without any clothing, no probs cause I got the concept "you only see what the artist lets you". Im struggleing with the legs and hips though, just not looking right to me. Any advice?
Unread Mar 19th, 2004, 08:04 AM   #12
AirGuiTaR
Maned Wolf of the North

I cant give you advice unless I see what you have drawn ^^;
Unread Mar 19th, 2004, 06:36 PM   #13
EndlessNight
blau und weiß wie lieb ich dich

Just opening refs wont help you until you have an idea what you're looking for. You can look at a million lion and human pics without gaining anything unlesss you make an effort to see what you need. Focus on what you want to improve and than look at your refs for that. How a lion's chin goes into their cheek or how a human foot looks like in different poses and at different angles.

Also don't rely too heavily on your friend. They have a very stylized, well, style. And it's got it's own off anatomy spots which may or may not be part of their style but still you probably shouldn't learn off that unless youw ant those same thinsg in your own art.

Like Air was saying about looking in a mirrior it really helps, just like life drawing or drawing of photos. Not to copy the photo but to get a feel for how the body moves and how it rests. Try drawing the body in big chunks first, than get more and more detailed as you feel comfortable with how the body works.
I think that's where the stiffness comes from, you just aren't sure how the body moves so you aren;t sure how to draw it.

Sometimes in class I'll draw my teach every minute or so, just all the different poses they make while speaking and walking about lecturing. Just helps me practice how the body moves and being comfortable with different poses.
I might than take a pose I sketched and fill it out as a finished product.
I love life drawing and studying anatomy, and I have some of my own stylized way of dealing with the form in various styles, but I also can draw an acurate form if the need be or if I need to test drive a pose before applying it a certain charcater.
Not to say I don't make anatomy mistakes I do, but I work to fix them with practice and learning what I'm doing wrong. If you see a pose that looks akward to you, or difficult to you focus on that one until you have it down, it'll help you break through a block.

Also one more thing that kinda seems obvious but can be easy to do badly is making sure your charcater exists in it's space. Like think of the character as 3-d not 2-d. If you use general shapes to help you than think of a sphere for the head instead of a circle and a rectangualr prism or a box for the foot not just a rectangle. Just little things that help you make a charcater more alive and interesting in a drawing.

But you seem to have a lot of desire to get better and you do really brave backgrounds and detail in your work so keep at it and I'm sure you'll be doing better anthros soon.

-----
Ich bin als Schalker geboren,
Lebe als Schalker,
Und werde als Schalker sterben!!

Ameya "Kazamidori" Dobson 13/06/82-13/10/08 Always in my heart
EndlessNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Mar 21st, 2004, 01:28 AM   #14
Leo

Quote:
Sometimes in class I'll draw my teach every minute or so, just all the different poses they make while speaking and walking about lecturing. Just helps me practice how the body moves and being comfortable with different poses.

Wow! That is a great idea! And thanks for taking notice of my work, not just doing generic comments like "wow, looks good". Something Ive needed so badly is someone/s to tell me its great while acknowleging all the faults and how to fix them.

Thus far, I have a basic outline, the hip and groin area is tough, lol, not somthing you observe much. its not blending together very well, or at least as well as it could, Im hoping it will change once I add shading, and most of all the [mane].
Unread Mar 21st, 2004, 11:27 AM   #15
AirGuiTaR
Maned Wolf of the North

If you still need help with the hips etc. post a pic and we could help ya